In February 2022, Cindy Soule ’00 received the nation’s highest honor for science and math teachers. A teacher at the Gerald E. Talbot School in Portland, ME, Cindy was one of only 104 recipients of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) for the 2020 award cycle. She is one of […]
Programs of Excellence
Investment in key academic and athletic programs and facilities will help to significantly enhance the USM student experience and fuel USM’s reputation for excellence. Your gift will make a profound difference in the future success of our students and our University.
Grit & Leadership
Today, more students than ever are selecting USM as their first-choice school, with 16% of the class of 2025 holding a 4.0 GPS, one of many indicators of the progress USM is making. Home to Maine’s most diverse student body, USM is emerging as a statewide leader in the difficult, but crucial, work of building an equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist institution.
As momentum continues, recognition of the quality of USM’s academic and athletic program excellence will grow, resulting in a more compelling student experience, stronger student recruitment and retention, and the ability to better serve the evolving needs of our community.
Your gift will help USM to:
- Advance equity and access to higher education
- Spearhead research and innovation
- Strengthen our faculty with endowed faculty positions
- Enhance career development services
- Address Maine’s workforce challenges in every sector
- Build state-of-the-art, sustainable academic and athletic facilities
About Programs of Excellence
Make an impact by supporting:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Innovative centers for learning and research
- Endowed faculty positions and initiatives
- Modernization and upgrading of laboratory infrastructure and equipment
- Annual funds for academic departments and programs
- Fellowships, graduate assistantships, internships
- Career development programs
- Thought leadership programs that elevate the student experience
- New and upgraded athletic facilities
- Annual funds for teams and programs
Your Gift At Work
Programs of Excellence funding priorities include:
- Prioritizing the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Fund to advance equity and access
- The MEMIC John Leonard Endowed Chair in Risk Management and Insurance, sustaining a vital program and benefiting a key Maine industry
- Completing the Michael E. Dubyak Center for Digital Science and Innovation, a signature center spearheading research and innovation
- Creating the Center for Teaching Innovation to support the recruitment, retention, and development of teachers at every career stage
- Strengthening Career Hub services and facilities in the new Career & Student Success Center on USM’s Portland campus
- Building out a stadium complex around Hannaford Field, home to USM Soccer, Lacrosse, and Field Hockey
Stories of Grit, Focus, and the Pursuit of Excellence
Dean Murray credits his success as a leader in the insurance field to his time on the USM soccer field. Reflecting on his undergraduate experience, Dean says, “I had no idea how the lessons I learned on the USM soccer field would travel with me over all of these years. As a team captain and […]
Michael “Micky” Collins, Ph.D., is an internationally renowned expert in sports-related concussion–and a former standout baseball player for the Southern Maine Huskies, helping his team reach the NCAA Baseball College World Series in 1989. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and biology from USM and earned his master’s and doctoral degrees at Michigan […]
Born in Mogadishu, Somalia, Leyla came to the United States at a young age and grew up attending Boston public schools. After moving to Portland and graduating from Deering High School, she enrolled in community college without a clear career direction––until a trip to her homeland revealed a passion for broadcasting and journalism. Leyla transferred to USM and in 2020 […]
NCAA Diversity & Inclusion Week 2020, USM Athletics highlights the unique stories of our student-athletes from USM’s wrestling, track & field, volleyball, and basketball programs.
At USM’s Michael E. Dubyak Center for Digital Science and Innovation is a dynamic space where USM students can prototype, learn, and collaborate on digital, STEAM, and entrepreneurial projects.